Since April 2020. Sales of electric cars have decreased for the first time

Since April 2020. Sales of electric cars have decreased for the first time


New car registrations in Europe fell in Europe in June. Even electric cars have not escaped, reducing the volume for the first time since April 2020.

In June 2022, 1,054,807 vehicles were registered in Europe, which represented a decrease of 17% compared to the 1,268,508 vehicles registered in the same month last year. This was the worst June since 1993.

Electric cars have not escaped this situation. THE Flexible Jets reports that 215,000 battery electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV) were registered in June 2022, eight percent less than the 233,000 units registered in the same month last year. This is the largest increase in electric vehicle registrations since April 2020 and the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renault electric range

Battery electric vehicles (BEV) accounted for 62% of those registrations and plug-in hybrids (PHEV) the remaining 38%.

Jato Dynamics emphasizes that the decline in registrations of electric vehicles has mainly affected brands such as Renault, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Ford. On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Peugeot, Kia, Fiat and Cupra recorded growth in sales of electric vehicles.

The Peugeot 208 is the best seller

Overall, the Peugeot 208 was the best-selling car in Europe in June, with a total of 24,888 units and a growth of 38% compared to the same month in 2021. In second place comes the Dacia Sandero, a short distance away. , with 24,299 units, and the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, with 19,679 units.

Peugeot 208

Already on the podium is the Fiat/Abarth 500 with 19,500 units registered, followed by Dacia Duster, with 19,039 units, Volkswagen T-Roc, 18,679, Volkswagen Golf, 17,575, Renault Captur, 56, Tela 5. Model Y with 16,687 and Toyota Yaris with 15,216 units.

The Tesla Model Y leads the way in electricity

Regarding the registration of electric cars, Tesla Model Y is the best leader, with sales more than double compared to the direct rival, Fiat 500e, with 7269 units.

The lowest place on the podium is occupied by Tesla Model 3, with 6176 units, followed by Peugeot e-208 with 5626 units and Skoda Enyaq with 5484.

Tesla Model Y

Among plug-in hybrids (PHEV), Ford Kuga had the highest number of registrations in Europe in June, with 3952 units, followed by Kia Sportage, with 2811 units, Cupra Formentor, with 2883 units. , Hyundai Tucson with 2626 units and BMW 3 Series with 2623.

READ ALSO
Leadership is over. China’s BYD already outsells Tesla

While some brands dipped in June, others had very encouraging results. For example, the Volkswagen Group recorded a 26% drop in sales, but Renault saw its market share increase from 10% in June 2021 to 12.1% in the same month this year.

Chinese manufacturers also had reason to smile in the European market last month, after achieving a combined growth of 93%, which translated into a total of 13,800 registered vehicles.