Police in Memphis, Tennessee, were searching for a 19-year-old man who is believed to have shot multiple people on Wednesday, and who may have recorded the violence on Facebook.
“We don’t know his motive, we just know that he’s involved in a lot of shootings at this point,” police Major Karen Rudolph, a department spokeswoman, said. NBC affiliate WMC of Memphis in the air.
The number of people shot and their conditions were not immediately released.
The police department and city government told the city’s nearly 630,000 residents to stay indoors. The regional transport authority said that bus and trolley service had been suspended due to the danger.
Memphis police around 7pm local time sent out a message on Twitter warning that a gunman was responsible for the multiple shootings.
“We are getting reports that he is recording his actions on Facebook. We do not have a specific location of his current whereabouts,” the tweet said.
The police department did not immediately respond to a request for more information.
Memphis Area Transportation Authority he announced that the trolley and bus service had been suspended due to the situation.
Rudolph, the police officer, confirmed to WMC in a telephone interview that the suspect recorded the shooting.
“Yes, that is true,” he said. “We received a video where he was filming himself”
Police released a photo of the suspect and said he is believed to be driving a gray Toyota with Arkansas license plate AEV63K.
At 9:11 p.m., police asked in a tweet that everyone in the area of Ivan and Hodge streets stay in place and stay indoors.
Rudolph told WMC that the suspect was originally in a vehicle described as having dealer tags, but then changed vehicles. He did not explain how it happened.
This is an ongoing story and will be updated.