Scott McLaughlin’s (Dallara Chevrolet #3/Penske) second pole of the year in the 2022 NTT Indycar Series. And once again on the street circuit. As he did in Saint Petersburg, the New Zealander dominated qualifying for the Music City GP of Nashville, the 14th stage of the season. A lap of 1min14s555 was first in the Fast Six, with soft tires used.
McLaughlin beat Romain Grosjean (Dallara Honda #28/Andretti) by 0s142. Qualifying practice started an hour and a half late due to storms and electrical alerts on the 3,380-meter circuit in North America’s music capital.
And it has already left strong names on the way in the first phase. Championship runner-up Marcus Ericsson (Dallara Honda #8/Ganassi) will start in 18th place, four places behind teammate Scott Dixon (#9). Colton Herta (Dallara Honda #26/Andretti) missed his two fastest laps due to a red flag stop and will start 23rd.
The surprise of the fastest 12 was Dalton Kellett (Dallara Chevrolet #4/Foyt), especially in P.12. Championship leader Will Power (Dallara Chevrolet #12/Penske) is eighth on the grid – he missed his best lap in the second phase due to a yellow and stopped Pato O’Ward (Dallara Chevrolet #5/Arrow McLaren SP. )
The Mexican qualified for the Fast Six and will open the third row, along with Josef Newgarden (Dallara Chevrolet #2/Penske), who made the mistake of betting on harder tires. Christian Lundgaard (Dallara Honda #30/Rahael Letterman Lanigan) and Alex Palou (Dallara Honda #10/Ganassi) will make up the second row of the grid.
Hélio Castroneves (Dallara Honda #06/Meyer Shank) rounds out the field at the start scheduled at 16:30 (Brasília time). A 24-time owner, he lost the position by changing the engine over the control limit.
Indy Formula: stage 14
- (3) Scott McLaughlin, Chevrolet, 01:14.5555
- (28) Romain Grosjean, Honda, 01:14.6975
- (30) Christian Lundgaard, Honda, 01:14.7149
- (10) Alex Palou, Honda, 01:14.9087
- (5) Pato O’Ward, Chevrolet, 01:14.9261
- (2) Josef Newgarden, Chevrolet, 01:15.1461
- (18) David Malukas, Honda, 01:14.9616
- (12) Will Power, Chevrolet, 01:14.9818
- (15) Graham Rahal, Honda, 01:15.3112
- (21) Rinus VeeKay, Chevrolet, 01:15.3897
- (45) Jack Harvey, Honda, 01:15.9758
- (4) Dalton Kellett, Chevrolet, 01:16.5600
- (60) Simon Pagenaud, Honda, 01:19.4039
- (9) Scott Dixon, Honda, 01:15.3179
- (7) Felix Rosenqvist, Chevrolet, 01:21.1784
- (14) Kyle Kirkwood, Chevrolet, 01:15.4382
- (27) Alexander Rossi, Honda, 01:21.4579
- (8) Marcus Ericsson, Honda, 01:15.4501
- (77) Callum Ilott, Chevrolet, 01:57.6982
- (51) Takuma Sato, Honda, 01:15.5935
- (16) Simona De Silvestro, Chevrolet, no time
- (20) Conor Daly, Chevrolet, 01:16.3955
- (26) Colton Herta, Honda, no time
- (06) Helio Castroneves, Honda, 01:16.5898
- (29) Devlin DeFrancesco, Honda, no time
- (48) Jimmie Johnson, Honda, 01:17.5888
Follow Racemotor on social media: