The history of the Ferrari logo is rooted in the epic of the Italian pilot Francesco Baracca, considered the best ace in the Italian Air Force during the First World War. The son of an important landowner and Countess Paolina, Baracca enters the profession of arms. After his training at the Military Academy of Modena, he served, from 1909 to 1912, in the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. Piemonte Realewhose coat of arms, on one of the four parts, has a silver horse dancing on a red background.
In 1912, Baracca switched to aviation, his true passion, and participated in the First World War from 1915 in the Italian fighter. He is considered the first Italian fighter to achieve a combat victory and, until 1918, collects 34 official victories. In his plane, Baraka had a rearing black horse painted on the left side, which seems to be a tribute to the cavalry from which he originally came, even if some hypothesis would confirm that the horse in question would be. of the city of Stuttgart, according to the tradition according to which the flight attendants took as their signal that the 5th enemy plane was shot down, which would be in this case a German plane from this military area. However, the tax theory for the cavalry is more likely.
Another secret concerns the natural color of the horse. Some theories say that the original color of the horse was red, painted and turned with the net of the arms of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment of the “Piemonte Reale”, and that the black color was taken as a sign of mourning after the death of Baraka and his companions in a squad that. they have left their personal badges. Nothing allows to confirm that, as opposed to sticking with Baraka to his original squad. This gesture still continues today in the Aeronautica Forces, especially within the 10th Fighter Group.
On the occasion of the 1000th Grand Prix of the Ferrari Formula 1 team in Mugello in 2020, a group of Eurofighter fighters displaying the Prancing Horse on the fuselage, made a demonstration flight.
On June 17, 1923, the Savio Grand Prix was held in Emilia-Romagna, near Ravenna. Francesco Barraca’s parents attending the race and meeting the winner of the day. It was a certain Enzo Ferrari, who was driving an Alfa Romeo. Baracca finds in this talented young driver the heroism of their late son. One day, during another meeting reported by Enzo Ferrari himself, the Countess would tell him: “Mr. Ferrari, why don’t you put My Son’s Horse in your cars? It will bring you good luck.”
However, we have to wait a few years. After hanging up his hat, Enzo Ferrari became a manager and in 1929 he founded his own team, Scuderia Ferrari, which had to enter Alfa Romeo cars. However, it was not until 1932 that the famous coat of arms appeared, in the month of Julyat the 24 Hours of Business-Francorchamps eventa major endurance race organized on this difficult circuit, built on the roads that connect some villages of the Ardennes, in Belgium.
This dark racing horse brought luck to Ferrari: the Scuderia 8C 2300 MM dominated the competition. Antonio Brivio and Eugenio Siena won the race, ahead of their colleagues Piero Taruffi and Guido d’Ippolito. In 1938, Alfa Corse took over the Scuderia. Frustrated by his loss of freedom and conflict with several engineers, Ferrari left the organization but did not have the right, for 4 years, to use and produce racing cars under his name. Then he realized Auto Aviation Costruzionithen war turns everything upside down.
In 1945, Ferrari had a new playhorse redesigned by Eligio Gerosa, a young Milanese sculptor, and the latter did it again in 1947 for the racing team’s logo. It is indeed this year that Ferrari can finally launch its own brand, with its first model, the 125S. The galloping horse returns, still black but slimmer and with a reshaped tail (upwards, unlike the tail of Baraka’s horse), a prancing posture inclined at 58°, all embedded in a rock topped by a border of Italian flag. and a stark yellow background, which clearly evokes the emblematic colors of his birthplace, Modena.
The letters S and F stand for Scuderia Ferrari for racing models. The shield-shaped Scudetto is the right of the cars produced by the Scuderia, but next to the crest there is also a vertical rectangular emblem, which sits proudly on the arch. For the record, the running horse also appeared until the 1960s at Ducati racing car shows, in connection with the motorcycle brand’s chief designer, Fabio Taglioni, who was also from Modena.
From 1960/61, the abbreviation SF was supplemented by the famous “Ferrari” and its special font, the first letter of which, F, where the upper horizontal bar extends to the last “r”, leaving than the last letter “i”. “without exaggeration. Competition cars will adopt the habit of having a rectangular logo on the muzzle, when the peak Shield placed on the sides. For production models, while grand touring models tend to feature only a rectangular logo, sports berlinettas and supercars, such as the 308 or F40, use a rectangular front and side logo, as with competition models, to emphasize. the most technologically powerful bridges between racing and road-going Ferraris.
Finally, in 2002, the rectangle was slightly enlarged and the sharp black separation between the three bands of the Italian tricolor border faded, but the logo retains the same unchanging characteristics, recognizable at first glance.