(Monza) Monegasque Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) and Spaniard Carlos Sainz set the fastest times in the first free practice session of the Italian Grand Prix, 16e round of the Formula 1 World Championship on Friday at Monza.
Posted at 9:58 am
The stalls and spectators observed a minute’s silence in memory of Queen Elizabeth II, who died on Thursday, ten minutes before the start of these tests. Another minute of silence should be observed before the race on Sunday.
At Monza Autodromo, which celebrates its 100the this weekend’s anniversary, Ferrari are hoping to get another victory after four consecutive victories for Max Verstappen (Red Bull), who leads the championship with 109 points ahead of Leclerc.
After the first hour at this “Temple of Speed”, Ferrari can smile: it has placed its drivers at the top of the standings, ahead of Mercedes, and demoted Verstappen to 5th.e place with Sergio Pérez, his colleague, on the 14the.
More important than these for historic times, Verstappen and Pérez will be penalized on Sunday’s starting grid, respectively fifth and tenth, for internal combustion engine changes.
Sainz will be penalized more heavily and will start from the back, having changed many parts of his car, just like Lewis Hamilton.
These penalties may please Leclerc, who has not won since Austria on July 10.
In addition, Italian reserve drivers Antonio Giovinazzi and Dutch Nyck de Vries took part in this test session, respectively for Haas and Aston Martin.
1D free practice session
- Charles Leclerc (MON/Ferrari) 1:22,410 (25 laps)
- Carlos Sainz Jr. (ESP/Ferrari) 1:22,487 (23)
- George Russell (GBR/Mercedes) 1:22,689 (27)
- Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes) 1:22,831 (24)
- Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull) 1:22,840 (27)
- Esteban Ocon (FRA/Alpine-Renault) 1:23,075 (28)
- Fernando Alonso (ESP/Alpine-Renault) 1:23,099 (26)
- Yuki Tsunoda (JPN/AlphaTauri-Red Bull) 1:23,260 (26)
- Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Alfa Romeo) 1:23,394 (27)
- Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/McLaren-Mercedes) 1:23,511 (26)
- Alexander Albon (THA/Williams-Mercedes) 1:23,529 (24)
- Zhou Guanyu (CHN/Alfa Romeo) 1:23,570 (28)
- Pierre Gasly (FRA/AlphaTauri-Red Bull) 1:23,640 (27)
- Sergio Perez (MEX/Red Bull) 1:23,661 (21)
- Lance Stroll (CAN/Aston Martin-Mercedes) 1:23,688 (28)
- Lando Norris (GBR/McLaren-Mercedes) 1:23,856 (27)
- Kevin Magnussen (DEN/Haas-Ferrari) 1:24,006 (24)
- Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA/Haas-Ferrari) 1:24,317 (25)
- Nyck de Vries (NED/Aston Martin-Mercedes) 1:24,731 (22)
- Nicholas Latifi (CAN/Williams-Mercedes) 1:24,941 (24)